Milkmaid, Lumberjack, Bear Energizer led by Ashley
Here is the revised "Get Real" Leadership Reflection assignment.
Reminder on tomorrow's Yummy, Yum, Yum fiesta! What are you contributing?
Retreat Planning work time
Let's watch an example "Story of Self, Us, Now"-- a public narrative that I am asking you all to write for your final assignment. This is James Croft's Story of Self, Us, Now at a Harvard LGBT anti-bullying rally.
Try to identify what his stories of SELF, US and NOW are!
Feedback on the final assignment
Because I know you didn't all love the format and structure of the personal leadership philosophy and action plan assignment, I'd like to give you an opportunity to give me feedback on our final assignment so a) I have time to refine it before I officially launch it after Thanksgiving break and b) so you can have a sense of what I'm expecting of you with enough time to plan accordingly.
1. Read over the brief description of Story of Self, Us, Now (pages 2-3) and the assignment.
2. Whip around: One thing you like about this assignment.
3. Discussion on these questions:
Phase 2 Retreat Planning Process
1. Review the agenda + Retreat Mission
2. Elect roles (spokespeople, scribe)
3. Mind Map Buckets (what should they be?)
4. Share out ideas from last week and organize under mind map buckets.
5. Decide on decision-making process: Delegate decision-making to sub-committees? Consensus on all things? Some things? Vote on some things? Ashley decide everything?
6. Based on decision above, move forward with planning!
7. Friday's game plan: Work time on your action plan or does someone want to lead a fun energizer and organize a fun celebration/breakfast/team-buildy thing?
Work time on your leadership roles!
Retreat Mission Statement
The Animas High School Leadership Development class retreat aims to provide students with an authentic experience to practice their leadership skills, reflect on their growth, celebrate the semester and set goals for future leadership work. By the end of the retreat, students should be more empowered, confident and dedicated to leadership. Lastly, they should have a clearer vision of who they are as leaders.
Retreat Planning Brainstorm-- in small groups
Mark's Energizer! Yeeeoooooop!
Discuss with a partner what you remember about the "Abilene Paradox"-- what was it, what causes it and how can we avoid it?
Decision-Making Styles, an overview
Decision-Making Styles Grid (Ashley will draw this on the whiteboard)
VOLUNTEERS TO LEAD THURSDAY'S RETREAT PLANNING BRAINSTORM IN SMALL GROUPS!
Reading: "Introducing Decision-Making Styles" pages 34-39 of the NOLS Leadership Educator Notebook
Due THURSDAY-- write responses to the following questions in your reflection notebook!
PEAT's Peer Training-- Wed and Thur of this week!
Durano High School's PEAT (Prejudice Elimination Action Team) would like to invite you all to attend/promote our annual ADL Peer Training (a requirement for our No Place for Hate programming) scheduled for November 8-9 and make a personal invite to our monthly EDI meetings:
MONDAY, 11/6: Lilah's Energizer!
Intro to Group Decision-Making: The Scenario
We just got word from the Fire Department that a tornado is making its way toward Durango from Aztec. Sean is in Denver at a conference and Libby is in Costa Rica, drinking virgin daiquiris and working on her goggle tan for the upcoming ski season. Given that we are the next logical choice for leadership in this school, all eyes are on us to decide what to do. What should we as a school do? What should we, as a leadership development class, do/say, etc....?
You have 10 minutes to come to a decision as a group.
What was the process like for you/us?
How did we do? What did we do well at? Where did we struggle?
Intro to Group Decision-making
Reading: "The Abilene Paradox: The Management of Agreement"
Introduce 6 hats method of decision making
Breyanna, you're up!
Work Time + Conferences
Mady Brand, energize us!
Breyanna, you are up on Thursday!
Next week we have Lilah on Monday, Mark on Tuesday, Acacia on Thursday and finally, Teddy on Monday, 11/13.
Work time + conferences!
Maya Zarlingo's Energizer!
Who is up next week??
Acacia Bryson leading a feedback circle on........TBD
Give it up for Acacia, folks!
DUE TUESDAY! Conference Goals Reflection
This will be due Tuesday if you don't complete it in class today.
Next week, we are going to spend time beginning to plan our retreat but mostly allowing for you all to work on your leadership roles and conference with me on your leadership development. Also, know that your final assignment in this class will involve a final leadership philosophy and reflection on your leadership growth and to what extent you succeeded in your leadership missions outlined in your personal philosophy assignment earlier this semester.
To those ends, I'd like you to reflect on what you want to get out of those conferences with me. Here are some questions to guide your thinking:
1. Do you need help trouble shooting an issue with the group you lead?
2. Do you want feedback from me on your personal leadership style and growth, speaking to strengths I observe and areas of growth I'd recommend?
3. Do you want me to help you brainstorm ways to practice leadership in this class?
4. Do you need more direction in your designated leadership role? Are you not sure if the project you outlined in the philosophy and action plan assignment is the right path for you?